Terms of Service for Polimi Open Knowledge
POLITECNICO DI MILANO UNIVERSITY (“POLIMI”) RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY THESE TERMS AT ANY TIME AND WILL PUBLISH NOTICE OF ANY MODIFICATIONS ON-LINE AT THIS SITE. BY CONTINUING TO ACCESS A SITE AFTER NOTICE OF SUCH MODIFICATIONS HAS BEEN PUBLISHED, YOU SIGNIFY YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THEM.
Registration and participation in the Sites and online courses is restricted to those individuals over 18 years of age, emancipated minors, or those who possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into these terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations and warranties herein. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13 since access to the Site is not intended for children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, do not use the Site. If you have questions about the applicability of this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Certain courses may also have additional eligibility requirements as specified in the specific course description. If you are not eligible for registration and participation or do not agree to the Terms, you may not use the Site.
Rules for Online Conduct
You agree to use the Sites in accordance with all applicable laws. You further agree that you will not e-mail or post any of the following content anywhere on the Site, or on any other Polimi computing resources:
- Content that defames or threatens others
- Harassing statements or content that violates federal or state law
- Content that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them
- Content that infringes another's intellectual property, including, but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks or trade secrets
- Content related to partisan political activities
- Material that contains obscene (i.e. pornographic) language or images
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation
- Content that is otherwise unlawful
- Intentionally misleading or inaccurate content
Copyrighted material, including without limitation software, graphics, text, photographs, sound, video and musical recordings, may not be placed on the Site without the express permission of the owner of the copyright in the material, or other legal entitlement to use the material.
You agree not to attack, disrupt, disable or harm the Site, or servers or networks connected to the Site. You may not use the Site via any automated means, such as a screen-scraper or robot. This is not intended to exclude the use of assistive technology for your own use, such as screen-readers. You agree not to send any unsolicited emails to other Site Users. You may not display the Site within a frame on another website, or place pop-up windows or other disruptive technologies over it.
The text and other material on the Sites may include the opinion of the specific instructor and are not statements of advice, opinion, or information of Polimi. If you feel you might be offended by the content of the Sites, you should not continue.
Sites may also include the personal opinions and other expressions by Users who post entries on a wide range of topics. Neither the content of the forums, nor the links to other web sites, are screened, approved, reviewed or endorsed by Polimi or any other related entity. Polimi is not a publisher of any of the content of the forums, or of any content that may be available through links to and from them.
In order to fully participate in all Site activities, you must provide an email address ("Email Address") and a user password ("User Password"). You agree that you will never divulge or share access or access information to your User Account with any third party for any reason.
In setting up your User Account, you may be prompted or required to enter additional information, including but not limited to your name and location. Additional information may be required to confirm your identity. You understand and agree that all information provided by you is accurate, current and complete and that you will maintain and update your information to keep it accurate, current and complete. You acknowledge that if any information provided by you is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we reserve the right to terminate your use of the Sites.
Course Modification or Cancellation
The Sites, including the course materials, may contain errors and omissions. We reserve the right to correct errors or omissions without prior notice. We also reserve the right to cancel, discontinue, reschedule, delay, change instructors or modify any course or service.
You acknowledge that the course content of the online course does not reflect the complete curriculum of a course that may be offered to students enrolled at Polimi.
We will study course participation to learn how to enhance both our course offerings and the online learning experience. In the interests of these research studies, you may be exposed to slight variations in the course materials that will not substantially alter your learning experience.
Use of Site and Materials
Unless otherwise indicated, the Site and content are the property of Polimi. In consideration for your agreement to the terms and conditions contained here, Polimi grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to access and use the Site. User may download material from the Site only for User's own personal, non-commercial use. User may not otherwise copy, reproduce, duplicate, retransmit, distribute, publish, sell, resell, commercially exploit or otherwise transfer any material or modify or create derivative works of the material. The burden of determining that use of any information, software or any other content on the Site is permissible rests with User. Some content on the Site is provided by third parties, and the use of that content is subject to rules and restrictions as indicated on the Site. You agree to be bound by all such rules and restrictions.
You may be permitted to submit and distribute materials in connection with an online course (“User Content”). You represent and warrant that any material you submit to the Site, instructors or other Users is accurate and complete and will not violate or infringe the rights of any third party, including without limitation privacy, publicity, intellectual property and any other proprietary rights, such as copyright, trademark and patent rights. You represent and warrant that you have all the necessary rights and licenses to use the material and to permit use of the material by Polimi.
You agree that, if a third party claims that any material you have contributed to a Site is unlawful, you will bear the burden of establishing that the material complies with all applicable laws. Although Polimi does not monitor the content of the Site, Polimi has the right to remove material from the Site, block access, or take other action with respect to the material in its sole discretion.
By your submission of any material, you hereby grant Polimi an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty free, fully transferable, worldwide license to use, disclose, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, publicly perform and publicly display any such submission. You hereby grant Users in your online course a license to use your User Content (including the right to copy, modify and distribute such content) in conjunction with their participation in the course.
User Status and Statement of Accomplishment
You agree and acknowledge that your access to the Site, participation in an online course and your agreement to these Terms do not confer any right to access or use the resources of Polimi or establish any relationship with Polimi or its instructors beyond the Site and that you are not entitled to any student or academic grievance procedures.
Subject to satisfactory performance and course completion, you may receive a Statement of Accomplishment (“Statement”) signed by the instructor(s). Polimi reserves the right to determine whether a Statement will be issued for the online course and the nature of the information to be provided in the Statement. You acknowledge that any Statement will not stand in the place of a course taken at Polimi or an accredited institution or confer any academic credit, grade or degree or indicate enrollment at Polimi. You further acknowledge that instructors of any online course will not be involved in any attempts to get the course recognized by any educational or accredited institution.
Links to Other Sites
The Site may include hyperlinks to sites maintained or controlled by others. Polimi is not responsible for and does not routinely screen, approve, review or endorse the contents of or use of any of the products or services that may be offered at other sites.
Choice of Law/Forum Selection
The Sites are managed by Polimi, located in Milan, Italy. You agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to these Terms or any content posted to a Site, including copies and republication thereof, whether based in contract, tort, statutory or other law, will be governed by the laws of the State of Italy, excluding its conflicts of law provisions.
Disclaimer of Warranty / Limitation of Liabilities
THESE SITES AND ANY INFORMATION, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES THEREIN ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR USE OF A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NONINFRINGEMENT.
Polimi does not warrant, and hereby disclaims any warranties, either express or implied, with respect to the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of any Site, information obtained from a Site, or link to a Site. Polimi does not warrant that the Site will operate in an uninterrupted or error-free manner or that the Site is free of viruses or other harmful components. Use of information obtained from or through the Site is at your own risk.
YOU AGREE THAT POLIMI WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES, EITHER ACTUAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS, OR TO YOUR (OR ANY THIRD PARTY'S) USE OR INABILITY TO USE A SITE, OR TO YOUR PLACEMENT OF CONTENT ON A SITE, OR TO YOUR RELIANCE UPON INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM OR THROUGH A SITE. IN PARTICULAR, POLIMI WILL HAVE NO LIABILTY FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR UNFORESEEABLE, (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, CLAIMS FOR DEFAMATION, ERRORS, LOSS OF DATA, OR INTERRUPTION IN AVAILABILITY OF DATA), ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS, YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE A SITE, OR YOUR PLACEMENT OF CONTENT ON A SITE, OR TO YOUR RELIANCE UPON INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM OR THROUGH A SITE, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTORY OR OTHER LAW, EXCEPT ONLY IN THE CASE OF DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY WHERE AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT APPLICABLE LAW REQUIRES SUCH LIABILITY.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, POLIMI DOES NOT WARRANT THAT (A) THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR EXPECTATIONS OR ACHIEVE THE INTENDED PURPOSES, (B) THE SITE WILL NOT EXPERIENCE OUTAGES OR OTHERWISE BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE, (C) THE INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH FROM THE SITE WILL BE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, CURRENT, ERROR-FREE, COMPLETELY SECURE OR RELIABLE, OR (D) THAT DEFECTS IN OR ON THE SITE WILL BE CORRECTED.
Polimi makes no representation regarding your ability to transmit and receive information from or through the Site and you agree and acknowledge that your ability to access the Site may be impaired. Polimi disclaims any and all liability resulting from or related to such events.
You agree that: Polimi, in its sole discretion, may terminate your use of the Site or your participation in an online course, for any reason or no reason and at any time; Polimi shall not have any liability to you for the termination; and that you are not entitled to any course credit or to any student or academic grievance procedures in connection with such a termination.
If you no longer desire to participate in the Site, you may terminate your participation therein upon notice to Polimi.
The logos, names and graphics on the Site of Polimi or any of its affiliates, may be trademarks of Polimi or its affiliates. Use, reproduction, copying or redistribution of Polimi trademarks, without the prior written permission of Polimi or its affiliates, is prohibited. All other trademarks or servicemarks appearing on the Site are the marks of their respective owners. Information about Polimi trademarks may be found at http://www.polimi.it.
You agree to indemnify and hold Polimi and its instructors, trustees, officers, agents, employees, and assignees, harmless from any claims, actions, demands, losses or damages, including legal fees, arising out of, resulting from or in any way related to your participation in an online course, use of a Site placement of any content onto a Site or violation of these Terms. You further agree to fully cooperate in Polimi's defense against any such claims.
This page describes how the POK website is managed under the provisions of Article 13 and Article 14 of European Union GDPR - General Data protection Regulation (679/2016/EU) in relation to the processing of the personal data of its users.
Purpose of the personal data processing
Personal data is processed according to all purposes related to design and delivery of POK, that include
- purposes related to monitoring, analyzing and assessing the use of the service;
- purposes related to teaching, learning, and research.
Data processing procedure
In relation to the stated purposes, the data processing is carried out with digital tools. In any case the protection is ensured by password.
Please note that:
- The owner of the treatment is Politecnico di Milano
- The Data Protection Officer is Vincenzo Del Core - email@example.com
- Information that POK collects from you (including Personal Information)
- Cookies and tracking technologies on POK
- How your information is used
- How your information is shared
- How to manage your personal information
- Storage & security
- Contact information
INFORMATION THAT POK COLLECTS FROM YOU (INCLUDING PERSONAL INFORMATION)
POK directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an POK user account and create an POK user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- request a certificate of accomplishment;
- send email messages to POK (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the POK Site.
POK also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the POK Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and tracking technologies.
POK requires your Personal Information only in limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an POK user account (name, username, email address), including single sign-on with Polimi credentials;
- earn/request a certificate of accomplishment (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that POK associates the information that POK collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the POK Site, for example:
- in your POK account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other POK Site users);
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the POK Site (noting that in some cases, this information may be shared with a third party that provides tools and assistance for the POK courses).
POK encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the POK Site. (If you later choose to delete your POK account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below).
COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES ON THE POK SITE
- based on your cookie settings, POK tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the POK Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- POK may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use POK native mobile apps) you used when accessing the POK Site, and POK may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity;
- Tracking is performed via Google Analytics based upon anonimyzation of IP addresses;
- POK may track and collect information from emails that POK sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the POK Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the POK Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help POK gather information about how visitors use the POK Site and monitor POK Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the POK Site before and may have any personal preferences.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject POK’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the POK Site may not work properly.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
Your data is processed in accordance with Polimi policies; POK uses information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Create, administer, provide, and teach online courses.
- Operate and improve the POK Site – This includes personalizing the POK Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Improve POK service – This includes enabling you to navigate the POK Site, to enroll and participate in courses on the POK Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to obtain certificates of accomplishment.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the POK Site – This includes tracking POK Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the POK Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and POK Site maintenance, updates, course offerings, news.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes; software can be used internally on this purpose.
- Track POK Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and, in some specific cases, to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to course partners and external audiences.
POK may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
POK may share information, including Personal Information, only as needed to fulfill the relevant purpose(s), with the following third parties:
- European Union;
- subjects that provide outsourcing services or acting as technicians operating the POK equipment and service programs;
- legal consultants;
- entities / authorities for issuing public key certificates.
In addition to that, POK shares information with other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the POK Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information. This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the POK Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication.
POK may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, POK may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identifies you.
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Access and correct your personal information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your POK account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your POK account. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any certificate of accomplishment you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses.
POK does not track or index every time or every place on the POK Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so POK will not be able to help you locate or manage all such instances.
POK encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the POK Site.
Note that usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an POK system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the POK Site, POK encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
You may object to, or request that POK stops, its use of your Personal Information by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you choose to restrict POK’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with the service offered on the POK Site, you may not be able to establish an POK user account or enroll for a course, and POK may not be able to provide you with this service.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your POK account and Personal Information, you should send a request to email@example.com. Because deletion on the POK system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, POK may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the POK account affected by your request.
With respect to your POK account, POK will permanently:
- deactivate your POK account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from POK email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, POK will permanently delete your POK account profile Personal Information from the POK Site. By erasing the Personal Information in your POK account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the POK Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below. These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the POK Site.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the POK system.
- POK will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to enhance the service offered. These archives may be used to produce encrypted research data packages.
- POK will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
POK will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services. If you enroll in a course, such your Personal Information will be retained for as long as needed to provide you with services.
STORAGE & SECURITY
POK stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers located at Polimi. POK controls its own copy of information collected through the POK Site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. POK uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, POK cannot guarantee its absolute security. While POK works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, POK cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If POK learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, POK may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the POK Site or providing Personal Information to POK, you agree that POK can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the POK Site. If a security systems breach occurs, POK may post a notice on the POK homepage (www.pok.polimi.it) or elsewhere on the POK Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your POK account.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that POK maintains about you, please contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you consider the answer provided to be unsatisfactory, you may lodge, free of charge, a complaint with the Garante per la protezione dei dati personali at the address reported below:
Garante per la protezione dei dati personali
Piazza di Monte Citorio, 121
- Cookies are unique identifiers usually in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the POK Site or in an email communication back to POK or the authorized third party that served the cookie. POK or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
- Personal information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
- Tracking technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
- Certificate of accomplishment is a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your POK course.
Third Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google Inc. of 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA ("Google”). Google Analytics uses 'cookies', which are text files placed on your computer, to help the web team analyse how Users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website will generally be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. In case of activation of a IP-anonymisation, Google will reduce your IP address within the member states of the European Union and other member States to the Treaty on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases, the full IP-address will be transmitted to a server of Google in the United States and be reduced there. In assignment of the operator of this website Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf.
Please note that this website extended Google Analytics for the code “gat._anonymezlp();” to ensure an anonymised recording of IP-addresses (IP masking). More information on Google Inc. and Google Analytics can be found here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/.
Protecting Children's Privacy
Polimi strongly believes in protecting the privacy of children. In line with this belief, we do not knowingly collect or maintain Personally Identifiable Information on our Site from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of our Site is directed to persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access this Site at any time or in any manner. Polimi will take appropriate steps to delete any Personally Identifiable Information of persons less than 13 years of age that has been collected on our Site without verified parental consent upon learning of the existence of such Personally Identifiable Information.
If you have any questions regarding these Terms or Site, you may contact Polimi at email@example.com.
Effective date: May 25, 2018